October 19, 2019
The Sufferings of Christ and the Glories to Follow
Of this salvation the prophets have inquired and searched diligently, and have prophesied of the grace that should come unto you, searching what, or what manner of time, the Spirit of Christ who was in them had signified when He testified beforehand of the sufferings of Christ and the glory that should follow. 1 Peter 1:10-11. Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into His glory? Luke 24:26
Study 1: Sufferings as Son of Man
- Isaiah 53:3,7,8 - Despised and rejected by men; Man of Sorrows; Oppressed and afflicted
- Matthew 26:56 – Forsaken and left alone
- Matthew 16:21 - suffered many things of the elders and chief priests, and scribes and be killed, and be raised again the third day.
- Mark 10:33-34 - ...and they shall mock Him, and scourge Him, and shall spit upon Him,
- Luke 17:25 - rejected by his contemporaries
- Hebrews 2:10 – To qualify as captain of salvation
- 1 Peter 2:21-23 – As an example for us
- 1 Peter 4:1 – Gain a right mind set about sin
Study 2: The Atoning Sufferings of Christ
- Isaiah 53:4-6,10
- ...Stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted...;
- and the LORD has laid on Him the iniquity of us all.;
- Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise Him;
- He has put Him to grief: when you shall make His soul an offering for sin...
- "Forsaken of God"
- Isaiah 53:4-6,10
- Matthew 27:45-46, Mark 15:33,34 – Three hours of darkness
- Ephesians 5:1 – Sweet savor to God
- Hebrews 9:26 – Put away sin – by sacrificing himself
- Hebrews 10:10 – His offering was once -
Study 3: The Glories that Follow
- Isaiah 53:10b,11-12 – His satisfaction
- Philippians 2:9 Wherefore God also has highly exalted Him, and given Him the name which is above every name:
- John 17:1,4,5 – The son of man glorified
- Colossians 1:18 – Preeminence – “And He is the head of the body, the Church: Who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things He might have the preeminence”.
- Hebrews 2:10-13 – I and the children you have given me
- Hebrew 725 - Great intercessor
- John 5:27 – All authority to execute judgement also, because He is the Son of man.
- 2 Peter 1:16-19 – Rising daystar
- Revelations 21:23 – 27 – The Lamb is the temple and the light