October 22, 2016
- Called/ordained - Hebrews 5:5, 6
- Consecrated by an oath – Hebrews 7:20-22, 28
- Continuous /changeless – Hebrews 7:23-24
- Character – Holy, Harmless, Undefiled, Separate from sinners -Hebrews 7:26
The priestly service of the Lord Jesus Christ
- Offered one sacrifice and offerings – Hebrews 7:27, Hebrews 10:12
- Mediates/Intercedes – Hebrews 2:18; Hebrews 4:14, 15; Hebrews 7:25, Heb 9:24
- A holy priesthood – before God
- Holy – separated to God
- To offer up a spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God by Jesus Christ. Romans 12:2, Hebrews 13:15
A royal priesthood – before a watching world
- Royal - kingly; having regal bearing
- To show forth the praises of Him who hath called us out of darkness into His marvelous light. Hebrews 13:16; Philippians 4:18
Question: What other things we do as priest in the assembly or in our day-to-day life other than offering sacrifices of praise and worship?
|Old Testament patterns||New Testament practice|
|Offered animals as dead sacrifices – Hebrews 10:11||Offer our bodies as living sacrifices – Romans 12:1; Hebrews 13:15, 16|
|Priest taught the law of God – 2 Chronicles 15:3; Nehemiah 8:9||Teaching and admonishing one another – Colossians 3:16|
|To give thanks and praise – 2 Chronicles 31:2||Prayers, supplications, and thanksgiving – 1 Timothy 2:1-3|
I think we have to discuss this question at length-to know some other aspects of Christian priesthood/priestly service.
Our collective privilege to exercise priestly service has never ending existence.
- We will be kings (some read a kingdom rather than kings) and priest in heaven.
- We will be priests of God and Christ during the millennium